Friday, September 30, 2011

American Discovery 9/30/11

Stockyard Rd and 227 to Aspen (South Road)

Miles: 2

Round trip miles: 4

Total steps: 7,059


 Another day hike from home. Initially, it was kind of a messy walk along a busy road. But that's only the case heading eastbound. Coming westbound it wasn't a problem.

But that didn't last long and shortly I crossed the Arkansas River. In the early 1800's this was the northern border of Mexico. Almost like magic, the graffiti disappeared. There wasn't even any covered over.

There is a point of interest with a history of the area just off the road. It's worth reading.
It's a Hispanic neighborhood with Hispanic architectue. The people were friendly and waved a lot from their cars.

I passed the Pueblo Boy's Ranch which is or kids with behavioral problems. They have stables there with little horses.

I walked along the Bessemer Ditch, an irrigation canal for the farm areas. I wouldn't recommend drinking out of it, but it's nice to look at.

The ADT is a different kind of hiking. I'm finding I enjoy it. For now, I'll keep doing these nano-hikes. Once the time changes, I'll just do weekends and go further each day.















.










No comments:

Post a Comment